Thursday, November 20, 2014

Outrage of Modesty- Why You Should Never Let It Slide.

Today's post will be about something that happened to me, 
just a month ago. 
Yes, outrage of modesty. 
For the past few months, I've been working at a club in Singapore. 
Not gonna name names, but if you are a close friend of mine, you'd know.
Or if you follow my Instagram, you'd know. 
The place isn't important, cos it could happen anywhere, and to anyone. 

I decided to write this post after much thought as I wanted to give a shout out about how important it is to never let it slide, and to let the predator run free. 


One particular night at work, I was introduced to this particular table at the VIP section. 
Yes, VIPs. 
Men with their suits, & their big bottles of alcohol. 
To some, you might look at them with envy, or rather be impressed with their dressing.
I would never have expected highly educated men like them to behave like this.

My predator was a young man in his 30s, 
decked in a crimp Dior suit with an expensive watch on his wrist, & a glass of champagne casually held in his right hand.
We said our greetings politely, and he said he loved my necklace,
while brushing past my chest. 
At that moment, I didn't think of anything. 
I thought, well, it could be an accident. 
Things like that do happen, right?
He then started to joke around with his friends, about my chest size.
In particular, my cup size. 

For someone like me who has worked for many years in the nightlife industry, 
I was decked out in my usual clubwear.
Part of my job scope was to look good & presentable, yet approachable. 
If you don't know, I work as a GRO or VIP PR personnel.
& behaviour like this from men, was well, something I got used to with the years. 
Some men made lewd jokes about women infront of me..
Somehow, I got used to hearing that from men. 
But what I was caught off guard was how this predator behaved. 

He then asked me what did the number before the cup size mean?
I said well, it is the measurement of the width of a woman's chest. 
So he gestured and placed his own hands on his chest area. 
He then followed by asking me, what does the cup size mean?
I was about to answer that for every centimeters difference between the top of the chest, and the bottom, would mean a different cup size. 
Before I could say that, he groped my right breast. 
Yes. Groped. In public. In front of his friends. 

His decent friend went "What the hell, bro?"
(For that at least I know that not all hope is lost with men..)
He then proceeded to say "It's just for educational purpose!"
The moment I heard this, I felt like taking a lunge at him.
I excused myself, yet still politely. & went to the staff area to go into hiding. 
I honestly thought someone like me who has seen so much in the nightlife industry, 
would be fine. 
But I was not fine at all.
I broke down in tears. 

Long story short, I contemplated about reporting that fellow- 
to call the police, and inform the bouncers at the club.
But I eventually didn't. 
Why?
I was working, & I didn't want to ruin it for the club I was representing. 
Yes, stupid I know. 
But when it comes to work, you have more on your shoulders.

But after that night of tossing & turning in bed, I regretted. 
Letting that particular predator, whatever his background was, to go scott free- is wrong. 
Because that would only encourage his behavour, 
and allows him to think that it is ok to do that to other girls out there. 
I should have stopped him there & then, & place him with the law. 
But I didn't. 

So girls out there: NEVER, EVER let a man touch you inappropriately. 
Stand up for yourself, and for all women out there who may fall prey to his acts. 
 We have laws that protect us women from assholes like that, 
& we should make good use of it. 

To cases in which we see in the public, be it MRT or buses. 
We must not just video the evidence, share it on Facebook & do nothing. 
Yes, video the evidence, for about 5 to 10 seconds, to be enough as proof again. 
 Then inform the relevant authorities. 

To predators out there, we are no longer afraid of you.
We are educated females that will take you into justice,
should you decide to think with your below, before you commit the crime. 

& I swear, I will never let any guy ever go free, molesting me or anyone out there. 
& You should too. 



xoxo, @clarabeltan

No comments:

Post a Comment