Thursday, July 10, 2014

All you need to know about masks!

Facial masks have always been the go-to for many girls.
Whether it is for hydrating, anti-aging, whitening purposes,
all masks typically do have a few rules/ pointers to note.
& this would be my write-up on the things girls should note!
I mean, since you took time off to pamper your skin,
you should do it the right way, RIGHT?
Else, what is the point?
*this post is inspired after a conversation with a girlfriend of mine who didn't believe that using masks etc are useful/ necessary?
Trust me, I have seen how my skin has changed from my prior stage to now..
And it took me approx. 3 months odd to really notice the difference.
SO here are my rules/pointers I stick by:
1. Be Patient
Since I was mentioning the fact that it took me 3 months to notice the difference of taking care of my skin vs my normal IDGAF attitude,
I can only say, "HAVE PATIENCE!"
I know of girls who expect to see immediate results after one usage..
Yes, sometimes products do boast about "visible results" with just one use.
But everybody's skin is different, so why should results be uniformed for everyone?
For me, I tend to try out a new product for a month or so.
& of course, if it causes allergies, & breaks me out,
I would only give the product just a few more tries.
Cos breakouts or allergies could be due to many reasons,
like hormones, diet, other products etc..
So it is impossible to pin point what caused the break out or allergy.
& please, whitening products/anti-aging products do not give results in 1 use.
If it does, all aesthetics clinic will go bankrupt, with that "miracle" around!
2. Applying masks is the end of your skincare regime.
WRONG! So wrong!
I used to do this myself...
After cleansing, I would just use a toner, smack on a mask..
& just lay in bed for about 10-20mins with the mask on. 
After that, I am done, yay!!
NOPE, you are not done with the skincare regime.
Masks are pampering products, meaning they are used when your skin needs a little boost.
One should never stop at the mask,
but continue with your night time regime like serums & moisturisers, eye creams, night creams..
The list goes on..
*Unless yes, you are using an overnight mask!!
So for the lazy ladies, who still want to look good, opt for this!
3. I am still young, I don't need any of that!
WRONG!
Any exposure to the Sun, regardless which country you are located at,
 does damage to your skin!!
Yes, some sun damage takes years to form.
Starting from freckles, to age spots & pigmentations,
that are hard & costly to remove.
So prevention is cure.
For girls around the age of 20-25, HYDRATION is key!
Hydrated skin reduces skin problems like sun damage, pigmentation & also fine lines.
So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, inside out!
It is NEVER too early to invest in the basic skincare..
PREVENTION is CURE!
Personally, I started doing facial masks about the age of 19.
& at that time, I wasn't doing whatever I am doing now..
Not even 10% of my current efforts.
And although I am only 23 now,
 I can tell the difference of having good skin from the average skin.
& somehow it feels good, & it boosts my confidence.
Who wants to be plagued by skin problems/issues?
& an important point to note, if you are an athlete, or someone that loves the sun,
pile on your sunblock..
If you are an alcoholic/smoker/party animal, all the more you will need to TRY your best at maintaining youthful skin.
I work in the nightlife industry since I was about 20, and I have noticed how damaging late nights & alcohol etc are to my skin texture & tone..
So, if you can't avoid the above, protect yourself..
Don't be lazy, cos' the clock doesn't turn back in time,
and the world doesn't stop for your regrets!
4. Do not over use any product!
Follow within the guidelines written on the product, and always observe your skin.
Know what it needs, & give it what it needs.
& yes, an important point!

IF the product states to leave it on for 10-20minutes,
follow religiously!!
Any longer than that allocated time could do more harm than help!
Imagine putting on a product that hydrates your face..
With the theory of osmosis,
water potential in your skin would increase, leaving the water potential in the masks to decrease
& be of lower water levels at the end of 20mins..
So any longer than that, causes a backflow of moisture into the masks.

Your skin will hence feel drier & less moisturized than before.
& the masks/pampering session would be deem USELESS & HARMFUL!
*So try not to fall asleep while doing masks, regardless how tired or relaxed you might be feeling.
5. Facials are enough!
I am not someone who visits facial places, because I am the kind of person,
who finds it very hard to say "NO".
So I avoid putting myself in situations where people try to hard-sell me.
So I invest in small little products, here & there,
& just do it in the comforts of my home.

Facials are good if you need advance treatments like laser.
OR when your skin is really in the extreme problematic zone, where you just might not have sufficient knowledge about your facial skincare issues.
However, facials are costly, that is why people visit them once a month or so.
But for me, I like to take care of my skin on my own.
& to be honest, watering a plant & adding fertilizer to plants once a month is not enough,
same goes for our skin!
So pamper minimum 2-3 times a week.
There are so many different options we can choose from.
Hydration
Whitening & Brightening
Anti-aging
Detoxing/ Clarifying/ Purifying
So here's a list of products & brands that I really like if you wish to try them out!
Skeptical of the product results?
Spend some time Googling reviews, & hearing what other users feel about the product.
*Do take note of the type of skin type you have & compare it to the other users, for more accurate reviews!
1. Peter Thomas Roth
Available from Sephora & online beauty stores.
Price range: SGD $60-90+


This is what I've been currently using,
the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask

*Can be used as a wash off masks after 10mins, or an overnight mask for intensive treatment.
Function: Helps repair the signs of aging, including the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, dullness and sagging as it strengthens and tones the look of skin.
* taken from the website *

My review:
Gel like formula that is light & not uncomfortable.
Suitable for a 10mins wash off mask or an overnight mask.
Mask seems to be absorbed quickly into the skin after 10mins, so no fear for tackiness or staining your sheets.

Hydration: 8.5/10
Suppleness: 9/10
Brightening/anti-dullness effect: 8/10




2. GLAMGLOW
Available from Sephora
Price: SGD $92
*Refer to previous posts for my review!!
3. First Aid Beauty
Available from Sephora, but not the full range of products.
Beautybay.com offers an extensive range!
Price Range: SGD$30-70+
I've been using this Oatmeal Mask for 5 weeks now, & I love using this when I need a little pick-me-up!
This masks helps to repair & calm irritated skin, and is safe for even sensitive skin.
I can vouch for that, because I use it myself, & my friends too.

My Review:
An easy 10 mins wash off masks that smells good.
Easy to apply/ wash off.
Calming effect: 9/10
Nourishing: 9/10
Hydration: 8/10

** This mask is not available in SG's Sephora!
I bought it from 2 different websites, Beautybay.com & Beauty,com
I am not done with my first tube of it, but have already bought a spare!!
That is how much I like it!



4. White Label Premium Placenta Mask
* A 30secs wash off mask for the ultra-busy woman!!

Pictures credit to owner!



I am currently loving this product!!
It is not available at Sephora, but at www.beautydirect.com.sg
I received this from Vinna in our gift exchange & I have been using this 3x a week.
I love how my skin feels smooth, more supple, youthful & looks whiter after just 30seconds!

Texture is abit heavy as it is more towards a cream, which makes it a tad harder to wash off.
But with the 30s time frame instructed, no woman should say she is too busy or lazy!!!

My Review:
Hydration: 9/10
Whitening: 9/10
Suppleness: 9/10

Price range is affordable, below SGD $30!!

So that is all for now!
I will be doing up a video soon, & also probably a skincare routine!

xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment